An Elaborate Guide Showing How To Create A Descriptive Essay
A descriptive essay tells the reader about something by using the five senses, taste, smell, touch, sound, and sight to immerse the reader into the essay. These are the steps you can do to write your essay.
Steps On How To Write A Descriptive Essay
- You want to choose a subject that you can write a good description on throughout your essay. If you pick a place, you should visit is and take notes on what you see, smell, or sounds that you hear in that place.
- Think about what the dominant details are in your subject, these details will become your thesis statement for your essay.
- Organize all the details of your essay before you start to write it, you can do this with an outline or a chart with all the senses on it, where you can write down descriptions for each thing you are going to describe.
- Don’t use vague words or generic ones like bad, nice, good, or beautiful. Use adjectives to describe things. For example, don’t say, we ate a delicious dinner, write, we devoured a large hot and bubbly mozzarella, pesto, and tomato pizza for supper.
- You conclusion can be descriptive as well but it does have to be relevant and logical to the over all theme of the essay.
Figurative Language That You Can Use In Your Descriptive Essay
- Similes: In your descriptive essay, using similes words, like or as are great to use to compare things and be descriptive.
- Metaphors: Metaphors compares two different things but have a similar relevance to each other.
- Personification: This is when you give human characteristics to an inanimate object.
- Overstatement: You can use figure of speech to emphasize or add to the effect of a sentence. Example, I’m going to die if I don’t get that phone.
- Understatement: This is the opposite of overstatement, when you write the opposite of what is expected.
- Onomatopoeia: If you are confused with this word, that’s okay because all it is, is referencing using sounds to associate with objects or actions in a sentence. Like, plop, fizz, pop, smack, and so on.
- Symbol: You can describe something using a symbol that represents the concept or idea of a person, place, or thing. Like, red is the color of love.
Using all of this information will help you write your next descriptive essay in no time. Immerse yourself into the essay and make sure all of your sense are alert before you start to write your essay.